Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fairmount Heights in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fairmount Heights Methodist Church

716 59th Avenue

 

Historic Resource, Built 1911

 
Fairmount Heights Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, November 29, 2019
1. Fairmount Heights Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  The Fairmount Heights Methodist Episcopal Church now known as Grace United Methodist Church was originally established in 1909. The first services were held in Charity Hall located at what is now 715 61st Avenue. For a short time after, services were held in Pastor Joshua Barnes' home near the church's present location. In 1909, after Pastor Barnes' death, the trustees of the church acquired two unimproved lots on Fairmount Avenue and began to raise money for the construction of a new church. The building was completed in 1911. It was a simple frame meetinghouse style structure, with three gothic arch windows in the principle gable front and a small belfry at the ridge. In 1938, Charles Greenleaf, who was active in political affairs, invited Governor Harry Nice of Maryland to address Men's Day Service at Grace United Methodist Church. The Governor was escorted in town by the town's police. The Governor walked from his car into the church through a lane of flowers formed by the girls of the community. In 1950, under the pastorship of the Reverend Edward S. Williams, the church was enlarged, the entry tower was constructed and the entire structure
Fairmount Heights Methodist Church Building image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, November 29, 2019
2. Fairmount Heights Methodist Church Building
was covered with stucco.

Funded by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development
Sponsored by the Mayor and Town Council of Fairmount Heights, 2016

 
Erected by Town of Fairmount Heights, Maryland. (Marker Number 72-09-25.)
 
Location. 38° 54.009′ N, 76° 54.954′ W. Marker is in Fairmount Heights, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on 59th Avenue just south of H Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 716 59th Avenue, Capitol Heights MD 20743, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trammell-Taylor House (within shouting distance of this marker); In Honor of the Men and Women of Fairmount Heights who Served in World War II (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert S. Nichols House (about 300 feet away); World War II Monument (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); James F. Armstrong House (about 600 feet away); Municipal Center Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Samuel Hargrove House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairmount Heights.
 
Categories. African AmericansArchitectureChurches & ReligionLaw Enforcement
 

More. Search the internet for Fairmount Heights Methodist Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement