Buchanan Dam in Llano County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Granite Industry in Llano County
Throughout Llano County, large granite outcrops exist. The first granite quarry in Llano County opened in 1888 on the Llano River. When the railroad arrived in 1892, the demand for granite rapidly increased. Italian immigrant Vincenzo Fantozzi Petrick came to Llano County, established a quarry and provided stone for use in Texas' coastal jetties. When Buchanan Dam was completed, men and materials were diverted to the war effort and work at Petrick's quarry declined Llano's granite can be seen in the state capitol, the University of Texas at Austin, the Federal building in Kansas City, Missouri, and in many monuments across Texas. Quarries owned by Petrick contributed to Llano County's success.
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17902.)
Location. 30° 44.28′ N, 98° 26.446′ W. Marker is in Buchanan Dam, Texas, in Llano County. Marker is at the intersection of TX-29 and TX-261, on the right when traveling west on TX-29. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Buchanan Dam TX 78609, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker C.S.A. Salt Works (a few steps from this marker); Hoover's Valley Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Antlers Hotel (approx. 5.4 miles away); McKinley Coach (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Antlers Caboose Rooms (approx. 5.4 miles away); Longhorn Caverns (approx. 6½ miles away); Longhorn Cavern Administration Building (approx. 6½ miles away); Fisher - Miller - Grant (approx. 6½ miles away).
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Granite Industry in Llano County.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.