Augustinian Friary / Mainistir na nAgaistíneach
The Augustinian Friary, known as the Black Abbey, was founded in 1316 by the Earl of Kildare. It is now the Church of Ireland (Anglican) parish church and school.
The Augustinian friars first came to Dublin from England in about 1260. They were invited to Adare by John Fitzthomas Fitzgerald, Earl of Kildare, in 1316 and given land and houses in the town.
By 1541 the Augustinians owned nearly 80 acres of land, several cottages and gardens in • the village and a fishing weir on the river. As part of the Tudor suppression of Irish Monasteries at the end of the 16th century, the Augustinians were driven out of Adare and had moved to Limerick City by 1633.
[Illustration captions, counterclockwise from left center, read]
• The Friary in 1450
• Along the top of the South wall of the church are carvings of animals and human heads.
• Many of the features of the friary are very well preserved, particularly the small 15th century cloister and the sedilia (stone seats to the side of the altar).
• The Friary today · In 1814 the refectory (dining area) of the friary was rebuilt as a school which is
• The Dunraven family mausoleum was inserted into the cloister in 1826.
Location. 52° 34.065′ N, 8° 47.031′ W. Marker is in Adare, Munster, in County Limerick. Marker is on Main Street (National Route N21) 0.1 kilometers south of the River Maigue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Adare, Munster V94 E622, Ireland. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richard, First Earl of Dunraven (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Trinitarian Monastery / Mainistir Ord na Tríonóide (approx. half a kilometer away); Countess Dunraven Fountain (approx. half a kilometer away); Washing Pool / Linn Níocháin (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Estate and Houses of Adare / Eastát agus Tithe Áth Dara (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); History of Adare Methodist Church (approx. 0.8 kilometers away).
More about this marker. The Friary is now Saint Nicholas Church of Ireland.
Also see . . .
1. St. Nicholas History. (Submitted on November 30, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. St. Nicholas National School, Adare. (Submitted on November 30, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. History of Adare, County Limerick. (Submitted on November 30, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Augustinian Friary / Mainistir na nAgaistíneach.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 30, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.