Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Germantown in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Neshoba Junior High School

 
 
Neshoba Junior High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler
1. Neshoba Junior High School Marker
Inscription.  Land near the present church site was provided to New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church by Mrs. Florida Thompson, a member of a prominent white family of Germantown. The land was made available for a church structure, known then as a brush arbor, where slaves could worship and learn to read and write. When these slaves became emancipated, this land was purchased. for $200 from Mrs. Ellza Corneltus In 1869. In. 1886, under the leadership of its first pastor, Rev. Isaac Cotton, Germantown School opened on a portion of the land. Philanthropist Julius Rosenwald of Chicago provided construction funds. The name was changed to Neshoba School In 1912. Renamed by 1917 as Neshoba Junior High School, it remained in operation until 1969. Then it closed as a result of desegregation and consolidation of schools.

During its years of operation, the school had many dedicated principals and educators who expressed the importance of education and knowledge to all students. Most of the students went on to become productive citizens, although living through the dark days of segregation. They moved forward in their lives knowing the early history of New
Neshoba Junior High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler
2. Neshoba Junior High School Marker
Bethel Missionary Baptist Church, where worship and praise have continued. Praise continued into the 21st Century under the leadership of Pastor Dr, Donald R.Ester. Due to the influence of these principals, and educators, students were expected to succeed. Principals were Rev. Jack Bradley, Rev. R. H. Neville, Nicholas Watkins, Joseph Simmons, Henry Grinner, B. J. Calvard, Mrs. Mary Bradford, and Mrs. Gazella Watkins Brown.
 
Erected 2016 by The Neshoba Alumni Association and The Shelby County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 35° 4.906′ N, 89° 48.2′ W. Marker is in Germantown, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Southern Avenue 0.1 miles west of Poplar Pike, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7771 Southern Avenue, Germantown TN 38138, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oaklawn Garden (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fortunate Survivor (approx. 0.4 miles away); Germantown, Tennessee (approx. half a mile away); War Comes to Germantown (approx. 0.6 miles away); Germantown Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Raiding the Rails (approx. 0.6 miles away); Germantown Cemetery
Neshoba Junior High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, December 1, 2019
3. Neshoba Junior High School Marker
(approx. 0.6 miles away); John Gray Historic House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Germantown.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches & ReligionEducation
 

More. Search the internet for Neshoba Junior High School.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2019, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2019, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement