Barberton in Summit County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Second Settlement in Norton Township
Erected 1996 by Rite-Aid Corporation, City of Barbeton, Barbeton Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-77.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1814.
Location. 41° 0.349′ N, 81° 38.331′ W. Marker is in Barberton, Ohio, in Summit County. Marker is at the intersection of West Wooster Road and 31st Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1403 Wooster Rd W, Barberton OH 44203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slovenian Independent Society Home (approx. one mile away); PPG Industries in Barberton (approx. 1.1 miles away); Glenn "Jeep" Davis (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Freedom Tree (approx. 1˝ miles away); a different marker also named The Freedom Tree (approx. 1˝ miles away); a different marker also named The Freedom Tree (approx. 1˝ miles away); Staff Sergeant Howard E. Woodford (approx. 1˝ miles away); a different marker also named The Freedom Tree (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barberton.
Also see . . . Before Barbeton. Excerpt:
Two early routes through Norton Township formed the crossroads which created Johnson’s Corners. The Cleveland-Massillon Road bisected the township from north to south, while the Wooster Road was an early stage coach route which connected Warren and Wooster.(Submitted on December 4, 2019.)
By 1874, when an atlas of Summit County was published, Johnson’s Corners contained about 36 lots and extended both north and south on the Cleveland-Massillon Road (31st Street) and east and west on Wooster Road. Included in the village were the hotel, a blacksmith shop, two wagon shops, three general stores, a shoe store, a post office, printing office, two churches and a school. A steam saw mill was added in 1867 and the original grist mill continued to run.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 343 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 4, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.