The Gregg-Wood Party and the Union Company
Members of the Union Company
Founders of the
Town of Union
Now known as the City of Arcata
April 30, 1850
Members of the Gregg-Wood Party
Dr Josiah Gregg · Thomas Sebring · David A. Buck · J.B. Truesdale · Van Duzen · Charles Southard · Isaac Wilson · L. K. Wood
Members of the Union Company
H.Nelson Lloyd · W. H. Sansbury · B. Kelsey · Jas. H. Lewis · Joseph Smith · Jas. C. Matthews · E.B. Bones · Joseph Wardlow · Paris Teters · Ephraim Prigmore · Peter Lothian · Isaac Wilson · Wm.F. Von Thulen · Arter Graham · George Spence · Frederiock Peterson · Julius W. Graham · John Kelley · John Saf · John Burman · D. W. Ginkins · Sig Vard Nelson · Thomas Sebring · Joshua Innman · John C. Preston · R. I. Winders · A. M. Preston · Charles Liscom · Wm. S. Denison · Adolph Eiswald · W.M. Cornwell · Capt. William Teichenor · L.K. Wood
Erected 1950 by Native Sons of the Golden West Arcata Parlor Number 20, Arcata Volunteer Fire Dept., Arcata
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
Location. 40° 52.117′ N, 124° 5.113′ W. Marker is in Arcata, California, in Humboldt County. Marker is on 9th Street east of G Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 631 9th Street, Arcata CA 95521, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Methodist Society on Humboldt Bay (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Minor Theatre (about 600 feet away); Jacoby's Storehouse (about 600 feet away); Camp Curtis (approx. 1.6 miles away); Arcata and Mad River Rail Road Company (approx. 5 miles away); Hose Company Number 4 (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Carson House (approx. 5.8 miles away); Indian/Gunther Island Site 67 (Tolowot) (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arcata.
Also see . . .
1. Humboldt County: A Briefest of Histories (Humboldt County Library). "...The first entrance to Humboldt Bay was in 1806 by an American with Aleut hunters, all in the employ of the Russian-American Company out of Sitka. But it wasn't until rediscovery by land by the Gregg-Wood Party in December 1849, that the region's history was forever defined. Spring 1850 brought the first ships to Humboldt and Trinidad bays, where men, generally from the States, disembarked on their way to the gold mining districts on the Klamath, Salmon and Trinity rivers. First settled as a point of arrival and as a supply center for these interior mines, Eureka, Union (Arcata), and Trinidad were hubs of activity...." (Submitted on December 5, 2019.)
2. Historical Sites Society of Arcata. "Arcata's townsite was located by the 33-member Union Company in April 1850 with each man also selecting 160 acres to claim as his own. Subdivision of the claims into blocks and lots initiated a rush of horse-trading as property went from hand-to-hand, but the dust soon settled and the business of building a community got underway...." (Submitted on December 5, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 104 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.