Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Lynbrook in Nassau County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Sand Hole Church

Est. 1785

 
 
The Sand Hole Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 1, 2019
1. The Sand Hole Church Marker
Inscription.  Isaac Denton deeded a 99'x 165' plot of land here in 1790 for the construction of a 20'x 30' Methodist meeting house. The congregation was formed in 1785 by the Rev. Philip Cox, who rode a 300-mile to serve his many Long Island congregations.

A new church was erected in 1825. It was destroyed by fire in 1897 and was rebuilt. It burned again in 1912 and was rebuilt again on Denton Avenue, Lynbrook.
 
Erected 1990 by Lynbrook Historical Committee.
 
Location. 40° 39.516′ N, 73° 39.589′ W. Marker is in Lynbrook, New York, in Nassau County. Marker is on Merrick Road west of Ocean Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 45 Merrick Road, Lynbrook NY 11563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rockville Cemetery and Bristol and Mexico Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wreck of the Bristol - November 21, 1836 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Wreck of the Mexico - January 2, 1837 (about 500 feet away); The Church of the Ascension

The Sand Hole Church Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 1, 2019
2. The Sand Hole Church Marker - wide view
The Sand Hole Church marker is visible on the left, with the Mariners Burying Ground marker visible on the right, and the Pomeroy Foundation cemetery marker further to the right in the background.
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Anvil (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Agnes World War II Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Saint Agnes (approx. 0.7 miles away); South Side (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynbrook.
 
More about this marker. The marker is within Rockville Cemetery, placed along the southern wall of the cemtery. Its (blue) back is visible from Merrick Road, but it is most easily seen by entering the cemetery at the southwest entrance (on Merrick) and immediately parking. It will is only about 100 feet to the east (right) of the entrance and is easily visible beneath the trees.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
First Sand Hole Church / Near Rockaway Methodist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photo courtesy of the Rockville Centre Public Library, circa 1870
3. First Sand Hole Church / Near Rockaway Methodist Episcopal Church
"Photo of the First Sand Hole Church, formally known as the Near Rockaway Methodist Episcopal Church. It was built at the junction of what is now Merrick Road and Ocean Avenue, then narrow dirt lanes. It started as a one-story meeting house in 1790 and was expanded by the Reverend Mordecai "Rock" Smith, pastor in 1849. Rockville Centre was named after Reverend Smith who was also a farmer, mill operator and community leader. The Sand Hole Church was demolished to make way for the Second Sand Hole Church that was constructed at the cost of $16,000...." - Rockville Centre Public Libary
 

More. Search the internet for The Sand Hole Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   3. submitted on December 5, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement