Belleville in St. Clair County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Clair National Bank
St. Clair National Bank began business in a former saloon at this location in 1919. The bank flourished and hired the local architectural firm of Frank Riester and Otto Rubach to design a new building that would convey a sense of the bank's financial strength. Completed in 1926, the building is faced with limestone. In 1968 the bank moved to a larger facility before being acquired by the First National Bank of Belleville in 1971. George Blanquart Jewelers, which had been established on the Belleville Public Square in 1936, moved into the building in 1968.
Erected 2014 by Belleville Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
Location. 38° 30.822′ N, 89° 58.941′ W. Marker is in Belleville, Illinois, in St. Clair County. Marker is on East Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is in front of Blanquart Jewelers. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 E Main Street, Belleville IL 62220, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Deidesheimer's Dry Goods Store (within shouting distance Belleville Savings Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Romeiser Building (about 400 feet away); Belleville Public Square (about 500 feet away); Dorothea Deichmann Millinery (about 500 feet away); Theodor Erasmus Hilgard (about 600 feet away); Les Mueller (about 600 feet away); Lyman Trumbull (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belleville.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 7, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.