“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belleville in St. Clair County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Romeiser Building

Romeiser Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, December 6, 2019
1. Romeiser Building Marker
Inscription.  Peter M. Romeiser, a German immigrant and Civil War veteran, opened a small clothing store for men in 1878 that grew into a mercantile empire extending from this building to South Jackson Street in 1906. His innovative pricing policy in the retail clothing industry to sell garments at the marked price rather than to haggle proved successful. Almost immediately he twice had to expand his shop, located at what is now the western portion of this building, and then construct a larger store in 1883 that is now incorporated into this building. When the new store opened, it was one of the first businesses in Belleville to be illuminated by electric lights. A further expansion, first by lease in 1898 and then by purchase in 1904, gave Romeiser possession of the eastern part of this building, which Bernhard Martin had constructed in 1877 as a saloon, boarding house, and grocery. Romeiser added onto this building and installed a self-service elevator in 1905 that remains in the building. In this new space he introduced the sale of women's clothing. During the Depression the company sold all the property west of this building for new construction, modified
Romeiser Building image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, December 6, 2019
2. Romeiser Building
Marker is to the left (hidden by the tree)
Click or scan to see
this page online
the front of this building, and again became strictly a men's clothing store. Romeiser's closed in 1943. Several businesses followed into this space. The most enduring was Fredman Brothers Furniture Company, which moved into the building in 1944 and remained in business there for nearly 50 years. Schlueter Shoe Store, Belleville Antique Mall, and the Elysium banquet hall were succeeded by the Writers' Lofts and Kaskaskia Engineering Group.
Erected 2014 by Belleville Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EntertainmentIndustry & CommerceWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
Location. 38° 30.811′ N, 89° 58.868′ W. Marker is in Belleville, Illinois, in St. Clair County. Marker is on East Main Street just east of South Jackson Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted next to the entrance of Kaskaskia Engineering Group, LLC. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 East Main Street, Belleville IL 62220, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dorothea Deichmann Millinery (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Clair National Bank (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Deidesheimer's Dry Goods Store (about 500 feet away); Belleville Savings Bank (about 700
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
feet away); Ever and Anon Park (about 800 feet away); Belleville Public Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Theodor Erasmus Hilgard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Les Mueller (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belleville.
Regarding Romeiser Building. Peter Martin Romeiser was born in 1842 in Germany, and by age 15 he emigrated with his family to nearby Waterloo, Illinois. As the marker reads, he fought in the Civil War, fighting in several battles until July 1864. After the war, Romeiser learned several trades as he was moving back and forth between Kansas and Illinois. It wasn't until 1873 that he resided permanently in Belleville, as he began working as a clerk. 1904 was the year of the St. Louis World's Fair (Louisiana Purchase Exposition), and Romeiser's company was a popular sponsor of the event, as they provided maps of the fairgrounds. Romeiser died on November 29, 1916.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 10, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr

Paid Advertisement
May. 16, 2021