Calistoga in Napa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Restored in 1978 by Calistoga Depot Association
Sam Brannan Chapter No.1004
E Clampus Vitus
Erected 1978 by Sam Brannan Chapter No.1004, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 687.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the E Clampus Vitus series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 38° 34.792′ N, 122° 34.697′ W. Marker is in Calistoga, California, in Napa County. Marker is on Lincoln Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount View Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Calistoga City Hall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Calistoga Sam Brannan Center (about 700 feet away); Oat Hill Mine Road (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Faithful Steam Well (approx. 1.7 miles away); Schramsberg (approx. 3.2 miles away); Larkmead Winery / Kornell Cellars (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calistoga.
Regarding Calistoga Depot. This site is designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 687.
The facility now includes six restored railroad cars housing historical exhibits and retail shops.
This site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 18, 1977
This site was designated as California Registered Historic Landmark No.687 on July 31, 1959:
Landmark Statement of Significance:
The Napa Valley Railroad depot, now the Southern Pacific depot, was built in 1868. Its roundhouse across Lincoln Avenue is gone. On its first trip, this railroad brought people to Calistoga for the elaborate opening of Brannan's summer resort in October
1. Additional Information Regarding the Marker Dedication
Harry Downham was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was dedicated. Plaque wording by Edward D. Hawkins.
— Submitted April 15, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,403 times since then and 81 times this year. Last updated on December 12, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on May 3, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 11. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.