Sunbury in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Electric Light
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1933.
Location. 40° 51.784′ N, 76° 47.804′ W. Marker is in Sunbury, Pennsylvania, in Northumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street (State Highway 147) and Market Street, on the right when traveling south on Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sunbury PA 17801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Maclay (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Northumberland County (about 700 feet away); Sunbury War Memorials (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lorenzo Da Ponte (1749-1838) (approx. For Those Who Served (approx. 0.2 miles away); Northumberland Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Danville-Pottsville R.R. (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hotel Edison (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sunbury.
Also see . . .
1. Edison's Electric Light and Power System. This article on the IEEE Global History Network declares this to be the Edison’s third electric light installation. While it was the first electric light installation in Pennsylvania, the first ever was at New York City’s Pearl Street. (Submitted on December 11, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
2. First Electric Light - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 20, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 987 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on October 20, 2015.