Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church

 
 
St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel
1. St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
Side A
Inscription.  Side A
Martin Luther (1483-1546) proclaimed that we understand from Scripture alone (sola scriptura), are declared right by God through faith alone (sola fide), and are saved by God's grace alone (sola gratia), through Christ alone (sola Christo), and should be motivated to glorify God alone (soli Deo gloria), Luther's seal (the Luther rose) shows a black cross, representing death, yet within a red heart, representing life, surrounded by a white rose, representing angels, in a blue sky, representing heaven, all surrounded by a golden ring, which is precious and endless.

Side B
St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church was founded in 1858. The members purchased the Grecian-style former St. Luke's Episcopal Church at Fourth and Scammel Streets and worshiped there from 1858 until 1900. In 1901 a new building was dedicated on the site and in 1992 an education wing was added. Though the church had formerly been German-speaking, an English-language Sunday school thrived after 1902. The last German sermon was preached at the onset of World War I. The congregation has been a member of the General Synod, the Miami Synod,
St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel
2. St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
Side B
the United Lutheran Church, the Lutheran Church in America, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). A magnificent depiction of "The Last Supper" by master woodcarver Alois Lang appears above the altar.
 
Erected 2008 by Dedicated to the Glory of God in 2008 in Celebration of 150 Years of Ministry.
 
Location. 39° 25.151′ N, 81° 27.246′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and Scammel Street, on the right when traveling north on 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta OH 45750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C. William O'Neill (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paul’s Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Memorial to the Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Marietta (about 500 feet away); House of Seven Porches (about 500 feet away); The Castle (about 600 feet away); Mound Square (about 600 feet away); Shipman-Mills House (about 800 feet away); The President’s Home of Marietta College (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Also see . . .  St. Luke's Lutheran Church. (Submitted on December 15, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories.
St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel
3. St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
Side B photo
Churches & Religion
 
St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel
4. St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel
5. St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church and Marker
 

More. Search the internet for St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 15, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement