Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
W. P. Ballinger Law Firm
Oldest continuous law firm in Texas. Founded Nov. 13, 1846, by William Pitt Ballinger (1825-1888), who on that day received first law license issued by state of Texas, through first judicial district court. A veteran of the Mexican War, he later was a distinguished Texas statesman. Ballinger's first partners -- in Jones, Butler & Ballinger -- were John M. Jones and Jonas Butler. Ballinger relatives who have formed line of descendancy in the firm include a son, Thomas J. Ballinger, grandson Ballinger Mills, Sr., and great-grandson Ballinger Mills, Jr.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Erected 1967 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 63.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, Mexican-American.
Location. 29° 18.387′ N, 94° 47.622′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker can be reached from Mechanic Street west of Kempner Street, on the right when traveling west. This marker is currently Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2228 Mechanic Street, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Rice, Baulard & Company Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stewart Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Galveston Square (about 300 feet away); Samson Heidenheimer Building (about 300 feet away); The Tremont Houses (about 300 feet away); Juneteenth (about 300 feet away); Berlocher Row (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Also see . . . The W.P. Ballinger Law Firm marker application at the Portal to Texas History. (Submitted on February 3, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 3, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 2, 3. submitted on December 15, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker, now located inside of The Washington Building at 2228 Mechanic Street. • Can you help?