Ste. Genevieve in Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Merchants Bank / Ste. Genevieve Savings Bank
During the night, a military force comprised of 250 Zouaves of the 8th Missouri Infantry Regiment and an artillery piece with its 13 men arrived from Cape Girardeau. They were under the command of Major John McDonald who had them surround the town. They were guided into town by Lieutenant Colonel J. Felix St. James, a lifelong resident of Ste. Genevieve.
Major McDonald demanded the money from the branch president, Firman A. Rozier, of the Merchant's Bank (located on this spot), Rozier agreed to release the money under protest with the condition that he would accompany the battalion to St. Louis. They traveled north on the Mississippi River onboard the steamer Hannibal. Upon arrival in St. Louis, the $58,313.30 was deposited with Colonel Robert Campbell, president of the Merchant's Bank.
James Gang Robbery - May 27, 1873
Five of the James Gang entered Ste. Genevieve with the intent to rob the Ste. Genevieve Savings Bank (previously known as the Merchant's Bank). John Firmin Rozier and bank cashier O.D. Harris opened the bank as usual that Tuesday morning
Placing guns to the head of Harris, the intruders ordered him to open the safe. Rozier received a slight wound to the shoulder as he ran out in fear. He then gave the alarm that the bank was being robbed. The thieves managed to escape with about $4,100, much of it in silver.
Tavern & Home
Jean-Baptiste Valle family built the two-story brick house "circa" 1837. Charles and Veronica Rottler converted it into a tavern. The Rottler family lived on the second floor. This building was destroyed in 1934 to make room for a Standard Oil Company gas station. Photo taken late 1800's
Erected 2010 by Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War and the St. Louis Civil War Round Table.
Location. 37° 58.809′ N, 90° 2.595′ W. Marker is in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, in Ste. Genevieve County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and Merchant Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Marker is mounted on a shelter (with benches) next to Belle Ever After Boutique. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 S Main Street, Sainte Genevieve MO 63670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sainte Genevieve (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Louis Bolduc House (about 400 feet away); El Camino Real (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Brick House West of Mississippi River (approx. 0.2 miles away); Welcome to Sainte Genevieve Parish (approx. 0.2 miles away); Illinois in the American Revolution (approx. 8.1 miles away in Illinois); The Liberty Bell of the West (approx. 8.1 miles away in Illinois); Lewis and Clark in Kaskaskia (approx. 8.1 miles away in Illinois). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ste. Genevieve.
Also see . . . James-Younger Gang: Ste. Genevieve. From the Civil War St. Louis history website, this contains re-printed newspaper articles talking about the Jesse James robbery in detail, including one from the St. Louis Globe. (Submitted on December 16, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Merchants Bank / Ste. Genevieve Savings Bank.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.