Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This historic house was built in 1870 by Charles Albertson in the Lost Bayou section of the current San Jacinto historical district. Albertson was a cotton buyer active in Galveston until 1900. The great storm of 1900 left the house seriously damaged, but still standing. In 1903, Ben Blum bought and remodeled the house, and divided the property with this wing of the house moved east and closer to the street. Blum rented the east wing, supplying rented living space for the population influx to Galveston. The two-story house is a classic example of post-Civil War Southern Town House architecture with octagonal columns and bracketed eaves.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2014
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17947.)
Location. 29° 17.726′ N, 94° 47.235′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Avenue N 1/2 0 miles east of Moody Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2017 Avenue N 1/2, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Henry C. Henck, Jr. House (within shouting distance of this marker); George Dealey (approx. 0.2 miles away); Galveston Orphans Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Galveston Children's Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin-Wandless House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bernardo de Galvez (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hotel Galvez (approx. 0.2 miles away); John M. Jones House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Categories. • Architecture • Disasters • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Albertson Home.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.