Dominikanerkloster / Dominican Monastery
Mittelalterliche Klosteranlage ab
Medieval monastery established
Spätgotischer Chor der Klosterkirche
Baumeister J. Östreicher
Late Gothic choir in the monastic church
Master Builder J. Oestreicher
Barockisierung von Kirche, Klausur und Konventsgebäuden
Church, monks cells and buildings converted to the Baroque style
Nahezu vollständige Zerstörung Polygonaler Chor erhalten
Almost completely destroyed, only the polygonal choir survived
Moderner Wiederaufbau von Klosterareal und Langhaus der Klosterkirche
Nave of the monastic church and monastery complex
rebuilt in a modern style
Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Kurt-Schumacher-Straße 23, Frankfurt am Main, Hessen 60311, Germany. Touch for directions.
Erected by Denkmalamt Frankfurt am Main.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1233.
Location. 50° 6.719′ N, 8° 41.267′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Börneplatz Synagogue (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Staufermauer (about 180 meters away); Alter Jüdische Friedhof / Old Jewish Cemetery (about 210 meters away); Friedrich Stoltze Geburtshaus / Birthplace (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Jewish Ghetto Gate (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Leinwandhaus - Linen House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Tugendbrunnen / The Virtue Fountain (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Frankfurt Romani Memorial (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfurt am Main.
Also see . . . Dominican Monastery (Frankfurt am Main) (Wikipedia). "The Dominican Monastery (German: Dominikanerkloster) is a former Christian monastery in Frankfurt am Main. It is the seat of Protestant Regional Association, a group of Protestant congregations and deaneries in the city, and serves as the convention site for the Synod of the Protestant Church in Hesse and Nassau, held usually twice a year. The former monastery compound includes a Lutheran church building, called the Church of the Holy Spirit (German: Heiliggeistkirche). Founded in 1233, the monastery came under the possession of the city in 1803. Completely destroyed during World War II, it was rebuilt in 1955–1957 by the architect Gustav Scheinpflug based on the old floor plan and layout, but in the architectural style of the post-war period. Of the original Gothic structure, only the late Gothic style choir of the church remains." (Submitted on December 30, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 27, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2. submitted on December 30, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.