Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jacksonville in Duval County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Crossroads

 
 
The Crossroads Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
1. The Crossroads Marker
Inscription.  
The Arlington Crossroads was formed from 1800s wagon roads that connected thriving riverfront Spanish plantations and landings along the St. Johns River with the Richard Mill dam over Strawberry Creek. These roads were tied together and platted when the plantations were sold after the Civil War. The resulting main north/south road was the “road to Chaseville” or Chaseville Road, which became University Boulevard in 1959. Arlington Road, the main east/west road was combined from several roads, including St. Johns Avenue And Elizabeth Street.

From the 1920s through the 40s development at the Crossroads grew steadily. Civic-minded citizens started a community club, public water works, and volunteer fire department, all located in the area of the Crossroads. Paul K. Reid’s Gas Station and Cliff’s Garage serviced the ever more popular automobile. Supplies and sundries could be purchased at Oliver Friske’s General Store. While the surrounding area was still very rural and much food was home-grown, groceries could be purchased from Rowe’s Grocery or Haine’s Grocery.

The opening of the Mathews Bridge I 1953 made
Photo Insert: Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
2. Photo Insert: Center
1918 Arlington Map
Click or scan to see
this page online
the area easily accessible and attracted new businesses and new residents. Housing subdivisions and strip shopping centers would soon fill the area, but even with the opening of the Town and County and Arlington Plaza shopping centers during the 1950s, the Crossroads remained the business and social hub of a new larger Arlington. From the new post office on the northwest corner, businesses spread in all directions Turner Hardware, Sal’s Drug Store, The Clip Joint Barber Shop, Arlington Auto Parts, Chaz Harris’ Music Shop, to name a few. Old-timers and teenagers and those in between met under the beautiful oak tree by the post office to share the news of their families.

The arrival of enclosed mall shops and “super” market grocery stores lured shoppers elsewhere, and the Arlington crossroads as a small town center slowly blended into the community at large.
 
Erected 2009 by Old Arlington Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
 
Location. 30° 20.016′ N, 81° 36.195′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is at the intersection of Arlington Road and University Boulevard North, on the right when traveling east on Arlington Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville FL 32211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Photo Insert: Top Right image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
3. Photo Insert: Top Right
Arlington Methodist Church ca. 1923, FW Bruce Collection
2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arlington Grammar School No. 46 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Arlington Town Center Ferry Landing (approx. half a mile away); Norman Silent Film Studios (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jacksonville And The Movie Industry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Historic Floral Bluff (approx. 0.7 miles away); Frederick W. Bruce (approx. 0.8 miles away); Historic Strawberry Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away); Delius House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
 
Photo Insert: Center Right image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
4. Photo Insert: Center Right
Arlington Garage, Paul K. Reid, Proprietor, ca. 1923, FW Bruce Collection
Photo Insert: Center Right image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
5. Photo Insert: Center Right
Post Office and section of Business District of Arlington
Directory of Arlington, Florida and Surrounding Areas, Arlington
Lions Club ca. 1950
Photo Insert: Bottom Right image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
6. Photo Insert: Bottom Right
Arlington Post Office showing William Bradshaw, Postmaster, ca. 1936
Old Arlington,Inc. Collection
The Crossroads Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
7. The Crossroads Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 28, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.   6. submitted on December 30, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.   7. submitted on December 28, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=143895

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 15, 2022