Near Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Started in 1874 by John and Martha Miller. Known as "Honest John", Miller joined frontier militia to fight Indians and served on first jury and second jury commission, County District Court. Was elected Justice of the Peace, Precinct 4, in 1876.
Colony also included families of A. P. Browning and William Miller. James A. Browning served longer as county official than any previous person. Descendants still reside in Kimble County.
Erected 1970 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3171.)
Location. 30° 29.564′ N, 99° 41.791′ W. Marker is near Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2169 5½ miles north of Interstate 10, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cloud Point (here, next to this marker); The Oliver Pecan (approx. 2.2 miles away); Little Mexico (approx. 3.1 miles away); Teacup Mountain (approx. 3.6 miles away); City of Junction (approx. 4.1 miles away); Kimble County (approx. 4.1 miles away); First Post Office (approx. 4.1 miles away); Fight of Sheriff’s Posse with Cattle Rustlers (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Miller-Browning Colony.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.