Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Spanish Trail

 
 
Old Spanish Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, December 30, 2019
1. Old Spanish Trail Marker
Inscription.  The Old Spanish Trail was a significant route from San Antonio through Bandera Pass, Camp Verde, Kerrville, Ingram and Mountain Home. For centuries, it was used by Native Americans, including Comanches and Lipan Apaches. Spanish colonists living in the San Antonio area asked for protection from the Lipan Apaches, and in 1732, Juan Antonio Bustillo y Cebalos won a victory against the Apaches at Bandera Pass on the trail. A short period of peace was followed by further violence. In 1739, Captain Jose de Urrutia used the Old Spanish Trail to push into San Saba River country, where his soldiers surprised an Indian camp and seized a number of captives. Other expeditions were made between 1753 and 1756, possibly using the Old Spanish Trail among other routes through this area.

In 1757, the Spanish established Santa Cruz de San Saba Mission and Presidio San Luis de la Amarillas, several miles apart, along the San Saba River near present-day Menard (Menard Co.). Activity in the San Saba area and along the Old Spanish Trail continued sporadically over the following decades, with the allure of nearby silver mines attracting adventurers. Nicholas
Old Spanish Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, December 30, 2019
2. Old Spanish Trail Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
de Lafora mapped this route in 1771. Traffic continued even after the presidio and mission closed in 1772. In 1828, noted Swiss botanist Jean Louis Berlandier traveled this route with Comanche guides. In 1855, Camp Verde was established at the junction of the Comanche Trail and the Old Spanish Trail. Camp Ives was established in 1859, four miles north of Camp Verde. Soldiers from both posts used the Old Spanish Trail in patrolling duties. The trail later became part of a military road leading from San Antonio to Fort Terrett (Sutton Co.). Today, the Old Spanish Trail is remembered as an ancient road that played a significant role in shaping the settlement, culture and history of Kerr County.
 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15842.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles.
 
Location. 30° 3.532′ N, 99° 9.874′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is at the intersection of Junction Highway (State Highway 27) and Harper Road (Farm to Market Road 783), on the right when traveling east on Junction Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1075 Junction Highway, Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Starkey Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Kerrville Lodge No. 697, A.F. & A.M.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Order of the Eastern Star Kerrville Chapter #24 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Gatlin Site (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mount Olive Baptist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Famous Door Cafe (approx. 1.2 miles away); Kerrville First United Methodist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=143981

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2021