Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Alleyton in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Alleyton Cemetery

 
 
Alleyton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, December 31, 2019
1. Alleyton Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Alleyton was settled by brothers Rawson, Abraham, John and Thomas Alley ca. 1822; William Alley joined his brothers in 1824. William donated a portion of his property in 1859 for right of way for the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railway, and the company also built a roundhouse and depot on the property. A town developed around the site and Alleyton became the largest town in Colorado County.

The original map of the town, filed in the county records in 1860, show blocks 57 and 68 marked as the "graveyard." In 1875, the blocks were sold to H.C. Gaedke, after the death of William Alley and the foreclosure and reogranization of the railroad. After Gaedke's death in 1880, portions of blocks 57 and 68 (totalling approximately two acres) were deeded to three trustees for the official establishment of a cemetery at the site. That same year, 2.4 acres were sold to the trustees of the Alleyton Colored Cemetery to officially form a burial ground adjacent to the white cemetery for the burial of the African American citizens of Alleyton.

The oldest marked burial at the site is that of T.S.M. Robinson, whose marker inscription reads
Alleyton Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, December 31, 2019
2. Alleyton Cemetery Marker
"born in Arkansas, died in Texas, 1852, age 22 years." A yellow fever epidemic swept through Alleyton in 1867, and several burials were made at the cemetery at that time, including four members of the Captain Henry Clay Everett family. Additional burials at the site include veterans of the Civil War, Spanish American War, World War I, World War II, Korean War and Vietnam War. Today, Alleyton Cemetery remains an active burial ground while simultaneously reminding visitors of the pioneer settlers of this community.

Historic Texas Cemetery - 2009

 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16466.)
 
Location. 29° 42.532′ N, 96° 28.949′ W. Marker is in Alleyton, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is on Alleyton Road (County Road 268) 0.1 miles west of Farm to Market Road 102, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alleyton TX 78935, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alleyton C.S.A. (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alleyton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Beason's (Beeson's) Crossing (approx. 3.2 miles away); Benjamin Beason's Crossing (approx. 3.2 miles away); Columbus Waterworks
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 3.3 miles away); Stage Lines Through Columbus (approx. 3.4 miles away); Early Site of Doctor Logue's Drugstore (approx. 3.4 miles away); District Court Tree (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alleyton.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 

More. Search the internet for Alleyton Cemetery.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 31, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement