King's Chapel and Beyond
Around 1750, the present, stone version of King's Chapel replaced the wooden structure of 1688. King James II had ordered the wooden chapel built. It was the first Anglican church in Boston, erected on the old burying ground over strong Puritan objections. Puritan power had weakened, and James had appointed a royal governor to administer the colonies of Massachusetts.
Behind the wooden chapel was the Boston Latin School. The Boston Latin School is the oldest American public school still operating, though at another Boston location. The school trained many of America;s founders, including Benjamin Franklin, Samuel Adams, and John Hancock.
On the site of the former Latin School now stands the Old City Hall, symbolizing the far more cosmopolitan spirit of Victorian Boston. Completed in 1865, it was an inspired example of the French Second Empire style, with its distinctive copper mansard roof, now a faded blue-green. The handsome building served until 1969, when the new City Hall opened nearby at Government Center.
Location. 42° 21.482′ N, 71° 3.628′ W.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. King’s Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Life and Death in Colonial Boston (within shouting distance of this marker); Omni Hotels: The Parker House (within shouting distance of this marker); King’s Chapel Burial Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to King’s Chapel Burying Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Pilgrims and Patriots (within shouting distance of this marker); William Dawes Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Parker House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boston.
Also see . . . History - King's Chapel. Kings-Chapel.org presents a history of the church. (Submitted on August 29, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for King's Chapel and Beyond.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 7, 2020. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 274 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on January 5, 2020, by Bruce Guthrie of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3. submitted on August 29, 2015. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.