Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Welcome to Fredericksburg, Va
Stone Tools to Seltzer Bottles
Commuters and rail passengers hurry to their trains over asphalt paving that is only the most recent layer in Fredericksburg's history. These travelers cross over prehistoric work sites, eighteenth-century shops and dwellings, a Civil War battleground, and the debris and fill left by the twentieth-century railroad that continues to tie the City to neighboring communities and the nation at large.
Fredericksburg's preparation to provide commuter rail service presented the opportunity to explore a portion of this area's history. At the City's request, the Center for Historic Preservation at Mary Washington College conducted an archaeological and historical assessment of two City blocks at the railroad station. They recovered artifacts representing the period from 4000 BC, when the Rappahannock valley's early inhabitants occupied this area, to 1992, when the parking lot was paved.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 38° 17.888′ N, 77° 27.391′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fredericksburg's Rail Station (within shouting distance of this marker); 1890 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. James Thornley House (about 300 feet away); John Paul Jones House (about 300 feet away); c. 1821 (about 300 feet away); c. 1787 (about 300 feet away); 1826 (about 400 feet away); c. 1803 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. The marker's background is a photo of a train crossing the Rappahannock rail bridge. At the bottom are photos of various artifacts found during excavations.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,097 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.