The Township of Washington
West Sacramento River Walk
In 1851, Margaret married to Dr. Enos Taylor and together they contined to sell these parcels. They also provided land for a school and town hall. Being located across from Sacramento, Washington became a politcal and commercial center for Yolo County.
Washington was the county seat from 1850 to 1857, and again from 1860 to 1862. Because of the constant flooding in the valley during winter, the county seat was permanently moved to Woodland in 1862.
In 1914 the town was renamed Broderick after the
California State Senator, David C. Broderick.
Erected by City of West Sacramento, West Sacramento Historical Society.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Settlement (within shouting distance of this marker); Yolo County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Prisoner of the River (approx. half a mile away); 1854 Flagpole (approx. half a mile away); 1854 City Hall and Waterworks (approx. half a mile away); Influences on the River (approx. half a mile away); Sacramento Skyline (approx. half a mile away); Flood Control (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Sacramento.
More about this marker. The marker is located in the northwest area of parking lot of the Broderick boat launching facility.
Also see . . . Broderick, California (Wikipedia). "Broderick (formerly, Washington) is a former town in Yolo County, California, United States, now forming part of the City of West Sacramento...." (Submitted on January 9, 2020.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The Township of Washington.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2020. This page originally submitted on January 9, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 9, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.