Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Corporation Court House

 
 
Corporation Court House, Left Side Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, December 13, 2008
1. Corporation Court House, Left Side Plaque
Inscription.  
(Left Side Plaque):
City of
Fredericksburg
Virginia
Corporation Court House
Erected 1851-52

Mayor .....Robert B. Semple
Judge of Court .. John Tayloe Lomax
Building Commissioners
Thomas B. Berton, chairman
B.R. Wellford
William Allen
John Minor
John James Chew
Architect James Renwick
Contractor Wm. M. Baggott
A former court house, erected on this site in 1733, was torn down in 1851 to permit the erection of this court house

(Right Side Plaque):
Fredericksburg
Corporation Court House
Historical Data

Courthouse erected 1851-52

Brick walls stuccoed - 1916

Bell. Made by Paul Revere
Foundry, Boston, presented to
city by Silas Wood of New York - 1829

The clerk's office contains
many historical documents
among which are -

The will of Mary Washington,
Mother of our illustrious George
dated 1789

Commission to Augustine Washington,
father of George, appointing him
trustee of Fredericksburg
dated 1742

 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed
Corporation Court House, Right Side Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, December 13, 2008
2. Corporation Court House, Right Side Plaque
in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Historic Fredericksburg Foundation series list.
 
Location. 38° 18.118′ N, 77° 27.581′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is on Princess Anne Street (State Highway 2), on the left when traveling south. Located on the Fredericksburg Court House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 815 Princess Anne Street, Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Vast Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); The Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); A Sacked and Gutted Town (within shouting distance of this marker); 1910 (within shouting distance of this marker); War Comes to Fredericksburg (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Clara Barton (within shouting distance of this marker); Physician's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Stonewall Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
The Courthouse Cupola image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W.
3. The Courthouse Cupola
The plaques flank the entrance way.
Historic Fredericksburg Foundation Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, December 13, 2008
4. Historic Fredericksburg Foundation Plaque
The Court House is number four on the foundation's list.
Fredericksburg Court House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, December 13, 2008
5. Fredericksburg Court House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,083 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on September 18, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on December 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 10, 2020