Pendleton in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Printer John Miller
Erected 1960 by Anderson County Historical Association and New Era Pendleton Club. (Marker Number 4-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Anderson County Historical Association/Society marker series.
Location. 34° 39.086′ N, 82° 46.878′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of East Queen Street (State Highway 88) and North Broad Streets, on the right when traveling north on East Queen Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pendleton SC 29670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. African American School Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Health & Heritage Walking Trail Pendleton (about 600 feet away); Hunter's Store (about 600 feet away); Old Mill Stone (about 700 feet away); Farmers Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas Green Clemson (approx. ¼ mile away); Clement Hoffman Stevens (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
Regarding Printer John Miller. In addition to being buried in the Old Stone Church cemetery, Miller was largely responsible for its founding. It was Miller who donated seventeen acres for the church to be built upon. His name also adorns one of the buildings on the campus of Tri-County Technical College. Miller Hall, the first building on the right after entering the college, is the home of the departments of admissions, student records, and financial aid.
Also see . . .
1. The Trial of John Miller, Printer. Before coming to America, John Miller stirred up quite a bit of trouble in London. He spent much of his time behind bars for articles that he published. These are the proceedings of a trial in 1770. (Submitted on September 14, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Old Stone Church (Clemson). Old Stone Church is a church building built in 1802. (Submitted on November 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Letters of Junius. Junius was the pseudonym of a writer who contributed a series of letters to the Public Advertiser, from January 21, 1769 to January 21, 1772. It is believed by some that John Miller was either one of the writers of the letters or know the writer, a secret he carried to his grave. (Submitted on November 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Miller's Weekly Messenger
Miller’s Weekly Messenger was established Jan 16, 1807 by John Miller. When Miller died, his son continued publishing the paper in 1812 when its name was changed to the Pendleton Messenger. The Messenger was published until June 1858 when it was sold to the an Anderson paper.
— Submitted September 30, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Communications • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Printer John Miller.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2020. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,553 times since then and 83 times this year. Last updated on January 10, 2020. Photos: 1. submitted on September 30, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2. submitted on July 28, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on December 18, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on January 3, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.