New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
83,85 Sullivan Street
New York City Designated Landmark
Sullivan Street, named after Revolutionary War general John Sullivan, has these two Federal-style town houses which were built on what was once part of the Bayard farm, originally owned in the 17th Century by Peter Bayard, brother-in-law of Dutch governor Peter Stuyvesant. The houses, built in 1819, are characterized by their symmetry and decoration, and are notable for their original Federal doorways, Flemish bond brickwork, six-over-six pane windows, and wrought-iron stoop railing.
New York City Landmarks Preservation Foundation
Erected 1989 by New York City Landmarks Preservation Foundation.
Location. 40° 43.492′ N, 74° 0.217′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Sullivan Street south of Spring Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 83/85 Sullivan St, New York NY 10012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General José Artigas Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); 116 Sullivan Street (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct Father Fagan Park (about 700 feet away); 143 Spring Street (about 700 feet away); Fluxhouse Cooperative II (about 700 feet away); 203 Prince Street (about 800 feet away); Holland Tunnel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chester Rapkin (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Regarding 83,85 Sullivan Street. The buildings are listed in the "AIA (American Institute of Architects) Guide to New York City, Fifth Edition".
Also see . . . "The 1819 David Mulford House -- No. 83 Sullivan St" at Daytonian in Manhattan blog. (Submitted on January 11, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Categories. • Architecture •
More. Search the internet for 83,85 Sullivan Street.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2020. This page originally submitted on January 11, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 11, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.