Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marlow in Stephens County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Redbud Chapel

 
 
Redbud Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jerome W Walker, January 4, 2020
1. Redbud Chapel Marker
Inscription.  

At the turn of the last century, families from Marlow had to travel many miles to celebrate mass every six weeks. Because of the muddy trails, even horses and buggies had problems negotiating the roads, making the trip approximately three hours in length.

The first priest to celebrate Mass occasionally in Marlow was father Elias Fink, O.S.B., stationed in Chickasha in 1900. Father Urban de Hasque, a native of Belgium, who became pastor of Chickasha in 1901 commenced celebrating Mass once a month on a week day in Marlow, and then on Sunday every two months. Services were held in the residence of local banker, Tom Wade.

On December 1, 1902 Mr Wade donated property at the corner of 4th and Comanche for a church. The Immaculate Conception Catholic Church was originally Built in 1904. The following year a strong wind move the building about 20 feet from its foundation and moved the building and almost wrecked it, but soon the church was replaced on a somewhat lower foundation. However, it was not found possible to restore the floor to a true level nor the walls to perfect straightness. Yet, notwithstanding these defects
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the building continuously served Marlow area Catholics until it was moved to its present location.

The congregation continued to increase in size and in 1997 construction of a new Catholic sanctuary was to begin on the site. The chapel was donated to the City of Marlow and within weeks Marlow and area citizens raised more than $20,000 to save the little Chapel.

Marlow's oldest church was moved to the present location on April 27, 1997. It was renamed Redbud Chapel by residents, and is now a non-denominational community chapel.

Redbud Chapel is one of the cornerstones on which the community honors its heritage and develops its future.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionParks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 34° 38.871′ N, 97° 57.082′ W. Marker is in Marlow, Oklahoma, in Stephens County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North Elm Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Marker is on the path on the west side of the foot bridge crossing Wild Horse Creek. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 E Main Street, Marlow OK 73055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marlow Brothers Hideout (within shouting distance of this marker); On the Chisholm Trail
Redbud Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jerome W Walker, January 4, 2020
2. Redbud Chapel Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Marlow Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); Halliburton (approx. 9.4 miles away); POW-MIA (approx. 9˝ miles away); Vietnam War (approx. 9˝ miles away); Lest We Forget (approx. 9˝ miles away); Duty, Honor and Country (approx. 9˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marlow.
 
Redbud Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jerome W Walker, January 4, 2020
3. Redbud Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2020, by Jerome Walker of Moore, Oklahoma. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2020, by Jerome Walker of Moore, Oklahoma. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=144458

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024