“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Grayson in Carter County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)

Eastern Kentucky Railway

Eastern Kentucky Railway Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2019
1. Eastern Kentucky Railway Marker
Inscription.  E. K. Railway purchased 25,000 acres of land in Little Sandy Valley at close of the Civil War. Tracks laid to this site June 10, 1871. Grayson was location of depot and repair shops. Stinson Branch was laid, 1893, with more straight track than any similar length in E. K. Railway main line. Service on E. K. Railway ended January 1933.
Erected 2003 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Transportation. Presented by Eastern Kentucky Railway Historical Society and Collis P. Huntington Railway Historical Society. (Marker Number 1596.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 19.983′ N, 82° 56.708′ W. Marker is in Grayson, Kentucky, in Carter County. Marker is on Carol Malone Boulevard (Kentucky Route 7) just north of East 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. It is in the small park at the old depot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grayson KY 41143, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Masterful Retreat (approx. 0.2 miles
Eastern Kentucky Railway Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2019
2. Eastern Kentucky Railway Marker
away); World War I Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); County Named, 1838 (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Jason Fields (approx. 0.4 miles away); Civil War Reunion (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pactolus Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky (approx. 2.2 miles away); Grave of Lucy Virgin Downs (approx. 6.1 miles away); Hopewell Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grayson.
Also see . . .  Eastern Kentucky Railway Historical Society Website. Includes photos. Excerpt:
Grayson was at one time known as the Crossroads, but was renamed Grayson in 1838 after Colonel William Grayson, who owned a considerable amount of land in the area. Thirty-four years later, as the Indian Wars continued in the west, the Eastern Kentucky Railway added 10.37 miles of track to Grayson. Stops were added at Hopewell and two miles north of Grayson at Pactolus. Land values climbed, coal mines opened, mills were built, and investment possibilities were in all directions. The general offices of the Eastern Kentucky Railway remained at Riverton, but the shops
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
were moved from Hunnewell to Grayson and enlarged. The shops for the E.K.R.Y. were located right downtown.
(Submitted on January 14, 2020.) 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars

More. Search the internet for Eastern Kentucky Railway.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2020. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement