New Albany in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Founders of New Albany
A tavern and inn, for which Noble Landon (1783-1866) obtained a liquor license in 1835, formerly occupied the southeast corner of High and Main streets. In 1837 Landon and William Yantis laid out the town of New Albany in 50-by-100-foot lots, with Landon's lots lying on the east side and Yantis' on the west side of High Street. Landon was born in Litchfield, Connecticut, lived as a young man in St. Albans, Vermont, and migrated to Licking County, Ohio, in 1810. He was the first clerk and first Justice of the Peace in St. Albans Township and first postmaster in Johnstown and later in New Albany. In addition to contributions as a builder-developer, Landon gave to the village lore the story of a remarkable conversion. Long known as a heavy drinker, he suddenly ordered kegs of whiskey he owned to be carried into the street and broken. He then attended church regularly.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
From Frederick County, Maryland, of German descent, William Yantis was a War of 1812 veteran of the Battle of North Point, where British General Ross was killed and William's neighbor
Erected 2003 by New Albany Plain Township Historical Society, The Heischman Family, New Albany Community Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 62-25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1973.
Location. 40° 4.955′ N, 82° 48.491′ W. Marker is in New Albany, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Johnstown Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Albany OH 43054, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Albany and Plain Township Veterans and First Responders Memorial (a few steps from this marker); The Sylvester Ranney House (within shouting distance of this marker); George and Christina Ealy House and Land (approx. 0.6 miles away); Disposal of Land in Plain Township (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wagnor Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Archibald's Mill (approx. 1.4 miles away); Smith’s Burying Ground: Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); Rocky Fork Metro Park (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Albany.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,008 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.