Angels Camp in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Home of the Jumping Frog
ó Romance - Gold - History ó
Erected 1931. (Marker Number 287.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the California Historical Landmark marker series.
Location. 38° 4.113′ N, 120° 32.365′ W. Marker is in Angels Camp, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 49) and State Highway 4, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Marker is located at the entrance to the parking lot for the retail store at the corner of Main Street (State Highway 49) and Finnegan Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Angels Camp CA 95222, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Angels Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Independent Order of Odd Fellows Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Chinatown (within shouting distance of this marker); A. Brosemer Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial Hall (about 500 feet away); Claussenís Corner (about 500 feet away); Mark Twain (approx. 0.3 miles away); Utica Mine North Shaft (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angels Camp.
Regarding Angels Camp. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.287
Also see . . .
1. Short History of Angels Camp. (Submitted on December 15, 2008.)
2. Ghost Towns: Angels Camp. (Submitted on December 15, 2008.)
3. Angels Camp History. (Submitted on December 15, 2008.)
4. Wikipedia Entry for “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County”. “Jim loves to gamble and will offer to bet on anything and everything, from horse races to dogfights, to the health of the local parsonís wife. He catches a frog, whom he names Dan'l Webster and for three months, trains it to jump. When a stranger visits the camp, Jim shows off Daníl and offers to bet $40 that it can out-jump any other frog in Calaveras (Submitted on February 24, 2018.)
1. Frog Jump Jubilee Commemorative Plaques
The Calaveras County Fair aka The Frog Jump Jubilee is held the third weekend in May. The main attraction of the fair is the annual frog jumping contest which is a tribute to the famous Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) short story The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County..
The town of Angels Camp has installed bronze plaques in the sidewalks of Main Street to commemorate each yearís winners. See Photos #9, #10 and #11 for examples..
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Angels Camp.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,919 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 6. submitted on May 24, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 7. submitted on April 4, 2009. 8. submitted on February 23, 2009. 9, 10, 11. submitted on May 24, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.