Gallatin in Dutchess County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
— Historic New York —
Tenants on the manor were few until 3,000 Palatine refugees were settled there by Governor Hunter in 1710 to make naval stores. With the failure of the project, they moved on to Schoharie. Later more tenants arrived and the crops, mines and manufactures of the manor flourished.
The numerous Livingstone family played prominent roles in the colony and early state, and, as aristocracy, dominated the life of this area. They were attacked
Erected 1988 by Education Department State of New York, East Hudson Parkway Authority.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era.
Location. 42° 4.118′ N, 73° 43.45′ W. Marker is in Gallatin, New York, in Dutchess County. Marker is on Taconic State Parkway 4 miles from Jackson Corners Road, on the right when traveling north. Located at a rest stop on the northbound Taconic State Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pine Plains NY 12567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Snyderville School (approx. 1.7 miles away); Lasher House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Signal Hill (approx. 2.2 miles away); Snyderville (approx. 2.4 miles away); Gallatin - Taghkanic Town Line (approx. 2.4 miles away); Stage Inn (approx. 2.7 miles away); First Suyham Schoolhouse (approx. 2.7 miles away); Gallatin-Milan Town Line (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.