Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Malone in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

German Settlers in Hill County

 
 
German Settlers in Hill County Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, September 3, 2018
1. German Settlers in Hill County Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  

Germans first came to Texas in 1821, immigrated by the hundreds in the 1840s, and in the 1880s began to move into Hill County. Here land was made available by such earlier settlers as G. W. McNeese, the Savage family, A. D. Walling, the Whites, the Worleys. First to arrive (1882) were Fritz Lentz and Alex Radke. Later came families named Degner, Dietz, Gehrels, Gehring, Geltmeier, Hodde, Huse, Kaddatz, Kelm, Klein, Klinkert, Krueger, Kunkel, Maas, Manske, Manthei, Meyer, Neumann, Piel, Reinke, Schronk, Schulz, Sonnenberg, Schmidt, Steffer, Strauch, and Zettler.

Pastor J. C. Rieger came from West (16 mi. SW) and held church services in settlers' homes. Salem Lutheran Congregation was organized with 15 charter members on June 6, 1886, and erected a church building three months later. St. Peters Lutheran Church was founded July 1, 1906, at Walling with nine charter members. Religious leaders (some of whom also taught in the parochial school) have included Pastors Bartel, Finke, Gaertner, Heinmeier, Hodde, Hopmann, Kramer, Liefer, Machina, Oertel, Seils, Walters, and Wunderlich.

By diligence and thrift, these people
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
made garden spots of their farms; and with love of God, of family, and of music, they created a goodly heritage. (1974)
 
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2176.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 31° 55.072′ N, 96° 53.691′ W. Marker is in Malone, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is at the intersection of East Mesquite Street and N Pecan Street, on the left when traveling west on East Mesquite Street. The marker is right outside of Malone City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 N Pecan Street, Malone TX 76660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Penelope (approx. 4˝ miles away); Salem Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Nathaniel Addison (approx. 4.9 miles away); Pelham Community (approx. 5.7 miles away); Ash Creek (Pelham) School (approx. 5.8 miles away); Wesley Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Pelham Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Hot Mineral Water Well (approx. 7.3 miles away).
 
German Settlers in Hill County Marker next to Malone City Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, September 3, 2018
2. German Settlers in Hill County Marker next to Malone City Hall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 24, 2020, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2020, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=144867

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024