Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli / Chiesta Italiana di San Giovanni Battista
The National Italian Catholic parish of Saint John the Baptist was founded in October 1896 by the Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli, D.D. Father Cestelli was born in Fiesole, Italy and came to America in 1888 to serve as a professor at St. Paul's Seminary in Minnesota. In January 1896, founding Rector Monsignor John Joseph Jessing invited Father Cestelli to serve at the Pontifical College Josephinum in Columbus, Ohio as a professor of moral theology. In October 1896, the Right Reverend John Ambrose Watterson, D.D., Bishop of Columbus, appointed Father Cestelli as pastor of the Italian Catholic community. Sunday Mass was celebrated in the baptistery of Saint Joseph Cathedral until September 18, 1898, when the Most Reverend Sebastiano Martinelli, Apostolic Delegate to the United States, dedicated this historic church.
Chiesa Italiana Di San Giovanni Battista (The Italian Catholic Church of Saint John the Baptist)
Built in 1898, Saint John the Baptist Italian Catholic Church is listed on the National Register of Historic
Erected 2004 by Saint John the Baptist National Italian Catholic Church and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 87-25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1896.
Location. 39° 58.633′ N, 82° 59.951′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Hamlet Street and Lincoln Street, on the left when traveling south on Hamlet Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Father Rocco Petrarca (within shouting distance of this marker); Tod Barracks, 1863 Lincoln Goodale (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Fireproof Building (approx. half a mile away); Flytown (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Patrick Church / St. Patrick College and Aquinas College High School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Columbia Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); Columbus' First Professional Game (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 814 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.