Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

6th Independent Battery, New York Artillery

1st Brigade Horse Artillery

 

— Cavalry Corps —

 
6th Independent Battery, New York Artillery Monument image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
1. 6th Independent Battery, New York Artillery Monument
Inscription.  
(Around the Base):
6th Independent Battery
New York Artillery
1st Brig. Horse Artillery
Cavalry Corps

(back):
Occupied this position
July 3rd, 1863.
Mustered into service
June 15th, 1861.
Mustered out of service
July 8th, 1865.

 
Erected 1891 by State of New York.
 
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is July 3, 1863.
 
Location. 39° 48.933′ N, 77° 13.933′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Memorial is on Taneytown Road (State Highway 134), on the right when traveling south. Located south of the old visitor center parking area in Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Catherine Guinn Farm (a few steps from this marker); 7th West Virginia Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware (within shouting distance of this marker); Maryland (within shouting distance of this marker); Companies E and I
Front Inscription image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
2. Front Inscription
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 93rd New York Infantry (about 300 feet away); Oneida New York Cavalry (about 400 feet away); Eighth U.S. Infantry (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
 
Also see . . .  First Excelsior Light Artillery. Originally the battery was formed as Company K, 9th New York State Militia (83rd New York Infantry), and served with the Federal III Corps early in the war. In March 1863, the battery was re-equipped as horse artillery and assigned to the Cavalry Corps. (Submitted on December 16, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
State Seal image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
3. State Seal
Front Relief image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
4. Front Relief
The relief depicts a gun rushing into battle, past a damaged gun.
Back of Monument image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 22, 2008
5. Back of Monument
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 878 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 16, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=14493

Paid Advertisement
May. 13, 2021