Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Christiana in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 6, 2008
1. Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1813 a group of African-American Methodists led by Peter Spencer formed an independent denomination that came to be known as the African Union Church. It was the first incorporated religious body in the United States controlled entirely by African Americans. Early meetings of the Christiana Bridge congregation were likely held at private residences until 1850, when a brick structure was built for worship. In 1854 the group was formally incorporated as the African Union Church of Christiana Bridge. Shortly thereafter, a denomination leadership dispute resulted in the separation of some member churches. The Christiana Bridge congregation followed leaders into a new denomination, and in 1868 they were formally incorporated as the Union American Church of Christiana. In the late 19th century the existing house of worship was moved from its original location. The congregation disassembled the structure and rebuilt it on property purchased from Louis Taylor. In 1898, the church was re-incorporated as the Union American Methodist Episcopal Church of Christiana. When the mortgage was burned, "old Fort" was added to the church name to commemorate the
Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 6, 2008
2. Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church
faithfulness of the congregation. In 1983 Old Fort UAME was added to the National Register of Historic Places as part of the White Clay Creek Hundred Multiple Resource Area.
 
Erected 2008 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-184.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion.
 
Location. 39° 40.071′ N, 75° 39.543′ W. Marker is in Christiana, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Old Baltimore Pike (Delaware Route 7) and Bayard Street, on the left when traveling north on N. Old Baltimore Pike. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christiana Public School #111-C (within shouting distance of this marker); Christiana Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christiana United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Samuel Patterson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Village of Christiana (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lafayette (approx. 0.3 miles away); Last Mustering of The Delaware Continentals (approx. 0.3 miles away); Talbot's Fort (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Christiana.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,285 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on February 5, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 3, 2020