Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Christiana in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Christiana Public School #111-C

 
 
Christiana Public School #111-C Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. Christiana Public School #111-C Marker
Inscription.  Formal education for African American children in Christiana began in the 1880s with the construction of a one-room schoolhouse. Many African American schools in existence at this time were marked by dilapidated facilities, a lack of running water, insufficient lighting, and poor heating sources. In an effort to remedy these and other deplorable school facility conditions, philanthropist P.S. du Pont dedicated a substantial portion of his wealth towards the renovation and rebuilding of African American schools during the 1920s. Christiana Public School #111-C was one of the first of over 80 schools to receive such attention. Designed by the New Jersey architectural firm Guilbert and Betelle, school construction began April 20, 1920 and was completed on September 6, 1920. The one-story, colonial revival-style building was a one-teacher school and featured a main classroom with three smaller rooms for the furnace, washrooms, and work and lunch room. During the 1920-1921 school year enrollment numbered twenty-eight students. William T. Neal and Esther Neal, whose family was one of the first African American families in Christiana, sold the
Christiana Public School #111-C image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. Christiana Public School #111-C
Click or scan to see
this page online
two acres upon which Public School #111-C was built. This amount of land was required for all African American communities looking to establish new schools during this time. After the school closed circa 1952, it was used often by the community to host parties, dances, and picnics. Building upkeep and use was overseen by the Christiana Community of #111-C, formed by local citizens when the school closed. In the wake of a devastating fire on February 1, 1990, efforts to renovate the property were spearheaded by former student Lavenia (Neal) Cole. The Christiana #111-C Community Center Restoration Committee has since worked in earnest to restore the property.

Christiana Public School #111-C was named to the National Register of Historic Places on October 18, 1979.
 
Erected 2014 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-205.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCharity & Public WorkEducation. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
 
Location. 39° 40.112′ N, 75° 39.535′ W. Marker is in Christiana, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on N. Old Baltimore Pike (Delaware Route 7), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map

Christiana Public School #111-C image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
3. Christiana Public School #111-C
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 48 N Old Baltimore Pike, Newark DE 19702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Christiana Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christiana United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Samuel Patterson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Village of Christiana (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lafayette (approx. 0.4 miles away); Last Mustering of The Delaware Continentals (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Lewden House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Christiana.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 337 times since then and 38 times this year. Last updated on February 5, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145173

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 30, 2021