Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winder in Barrow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Builder of the Nation

 
 
Builder of the Nation Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 13, 2004
1. Builder of the Nation Marker
Inscription.  This steam locomotive was presented to the City of Winder and Barrow County in 1959 by the Seaboard Air Line Railroad Company. It was placed here as a permanent exhibit in memory of the important service engines of this type rendered to the country. Built in 1930, it operated for a number of years on the Gainesville Midland Railroad. At the time of its retirement in 1959, No. 208 was one of the last steam locomotives in service in this section of the country
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1959.
 
Location. 33° 59.501′ N, 83° 43.362′ W. Marker is in Winder, Georgia, in Barrow County. Marker is on Porter Street, 0 miles west of North Broad Street (Georgia Route 53), on the right when traveling east. The marker (and engine) are located behind the old Winder Railroad Station. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winder GA 30680, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Winder Railroad Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stoneman Raid Battle of King's Tanyard (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barrow County Courthouse
Builder of the Nation Marker and Engine No. 208 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 13, 2004
2. Builder of the Nation Marker and Engine No. 208
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); Historic Barrow County Jail (about 500 feet away); Barrow County (about 500 feet away); Barrow County War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Jackson, Walton, and Gwinnett County Boundary Obelisk (about 500 feet away); Concord Methodist Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winder.
 
More about this marker. While the marker is an exact copy of the markers issued by the Georgia Historical Commission (and later by the Department of Natural Resources), it is not an "official" state marker.
 
Builder of the Nation Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, March 19, 2009
3. Builder of the Nation Marker
The marker is difficult to see to the left in the photo of Engine 208, its tender, and caboose.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,820 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3. submitted on March 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=14528

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022