Dover in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Stuart and Bayard
Erected 1996 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number B-30.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 17, 1862.
Location. 38° 58.522′ N, 77° 40.032′ W. Marker is in Dover, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of John Mosby Highway (U.S. 50) and Champe Ford Road (County Route 632), on the right when traveling east on John Mosby Highway. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Revolutionary War Hero (here, next to this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (here, next to this marker); Cavalry Battles (here, next to this marker); Sergeant Major John Champe (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Aldie (approx. 0.7 miles away); Snickersville Turnpike (approx. one mile away); First Mass. Cavalry (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Aldie (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
More about this marker. A marker with this same title and number was erected in the late 1920s or early 1930s on U.S. 50 in Aldie. It was listed as missing in Margaret Peters’ 1985 edition of A Guidebook to Virginia’s Historical Markers. The text read “Near here Stuart attacked the Union cavalry under Bayard, October 31, 1862. Bayard withdrew in the night to Chantilly.” —Ed
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Bayard lent his name to one of the forts in the Civil War Defenses of Washington
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,188 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3. submitted on August 7, 2011, by Henry T. McLin of Hanover, Pennsylvania. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.