Former Safeway Headquarters
The Safeway Organization was founded in 1915 when M. B. Skaggs bought a grocery store from his father in American Falls, Idaho. He started a second store in 1917 and by 1921 Skaggs and his five brothers had expanded the chain to cover all of Idaho and parts of Montana under the name Skaggs United Stores. The company came to California in 1925 with the acquisition of Skaggs Cash Stores, developed by M.B. Skaggs' oldest brother O.P. Skaggs. In 1926 Skaggs United Stores merged with the Sam Seelig chain of Southern California, which prior to the merger had been renamed "Safeway Stores". After the merger, the company was called “Skaggs Safeway", but this was changed shortly thereafter to "Safeway". The company continued expanding through acquisitions in the late 1920's, including the acquisition of the locally important
Over the following decades, Safeway continued to expand it operations. The company was headed
by Quentin Reynolds from 1966 to 1977, and during this period Safeway grew to become the world's
largest grocery chain with approximately 2,400 stores in North America, Europe and Australia.
Erected 2001 by Family and Friends of Quentin Reynolds.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 37° 47.704′ N, 122° 16.186′ W. Marker is in Oakland, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of Fourth Street and Jackson Street, on the left when traveling north on Fourth Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Fourth Street, Oakland CA 94607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Safeway Stores (a few steps from this marker); S & W Fine Foods (a few steps from this marker); W.P. Fuller & Co. (about 300 feet away, measured
Credits. This page was last revised on February 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 13, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 13, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.