Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Holly Springs in Blount County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Holly Springs School

 
 
Holly Springs School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, January 9, 2020
1. Holly Springs School Marker
Inscription.  Four school sites have been located in this community known as Morton’s Center, Hew Hope, and Poplar Springs now Holly Springs. The first at Morton’s Center was taught in 1882 by George W. Burttram. The first school at New Hope was taught by “Globe Trotter” H.C. Bynum and the first school at Holly Spring was taught by Isaac Washington.

William Edward and Ola Idella England donated property for the Holly Springs School to the Blount County Board of Education. The school was built on this property in 1938. The Holly Springs School had the distinction of being the only school in Blount County which received its water supply from a flowing well. Deed records show that on May 6, 1940, the Blount County Board of Education sold the Holly Springs School and property to the State of Alabama for $1.00. Due to consolidation, the Holly Springs School closed in 1950. The State of Alabama sold the school building and land back to William Edward England on November 7, 1958. Later, the school was torn down and some od the wood from the school was used to build a home for the England family.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
topic list: Education.
 
Location. 33° 49.58′ N, 86° 27.707′ W. Marker is in Holly Springs, Alabama, in Blount County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 27 and Fred Young Road, on the right when traveling south on County Route 27. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springville AL 35146, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church Of Springville (approx. 3.1 miles away); Original Site of Pleasant Hill Methodist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Champion Mines (approx. 7.8 miles away); The Cahaba Heart River of Alabama (approx. 7.8 miles away); Historic Oneonta L & N Railroad Depot (approx. 8.2 miles away); Welcome to Oneonta (approx. 8.2 miles away); Blount County (approx. 8.4 miles away); Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 8.7 miles away).
 
Holly Springs School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, January 9, 2020
2. Holly Springs School Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 14, 2020, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 14, 2020, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145410

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from qualified purchases you make on Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 3, 2023