Venice in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1925, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers (BLE), a labor union based in Cleveland, Ohio, purchased land to create the city of Venice. The BLE hired city planner John Nolen to complete the city design which he had already begun for the land's previous owner, Dr. Fred Albee.
Nolen, a leader in the city planning movement in the first quarter of the 20th Century, integrated the physical, social, economic, and political facets to create a cohesive whole in his design for Venice. He platted the Edgewood Section to provide lots less costly than those in other sections of Venice. Edgewood consisted of 16 blocks east of the railroad tracks and the industrial area, and included Groveland, Myrtle, and Pineland Avenues.
Most of the lots in Edgewood were 50 feet wide by 150 feet deep and ranged in price from $850 to $1,600. The houses varied from simple one-story wood frame front-gable cottages (vernacular construction) to one-story poured concrete Mediterranean Revival (Spanish Eclectic) houses with flat roofs and parapeted walls. Edgewood also had a cluster of bungalow style houses.
By 1928, over 100 homes had been built in the Edgewood Section, with most constructed on speculation. J.E. Lambie, of Cleveland, Ohio, built the most unusual houses in Edgewood. He had perfected the lamolithic system of building houses with poured concrete walls. Eight of these houses can be found on the north side of Groveland Avenue between Country Club Parkway and School Street.
In its original design, Edgewood lacked a park, a feature which John Nolen frequently included in his residential areas. The city of Venice provided this missing element when it created Mundy Park in 1943 on land given by Mr. and Mrs. H.L. Mundy for this purpose.
In 1989, 32 houses in the Edgewood Section were listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Edgewood Historic District.
Erected 1999 by Sarasota County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Labor UnionsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1925.
Location. 27° 5.804′ N, 82° 25.779′ W. Marker is in Venice, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker is at the intersection of Country Club Way and Groveland Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Country Club Way. Marker is located on the southwest corner of the intersection in Munday Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Venice FL 34285, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel George Kumpe Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Fred Albee Municipal Airport (approx. 0.7 miles away); Gunther Gebel-Williams (approx. ¾ mile away); Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 (approx. one mile away); Kentucky Military Institute (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ennes Arcade and Hotel Valencia 1926 (approx. 1.1 miles away); San Marco Hotel (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Supreme Sacrifice (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Venice.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 16, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.