Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Battle of Petersburg
25 April 1781
— British Line of Attack —
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number QA-21.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 24, 1781.
Location. 37° 14.341′ N, 77° 22.44′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is on Washington Street (Virginia Route 36), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located next to Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newmarket Racecourse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Maine Heavy Artillery Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hare House Site (approx. half a mile away); Prince George Court House Road (approx. half a mile away); Colquitt’s Salient Trail (approx. half a mile away); Wasted Valor (approx. half a mile away); Colquitt’s Salient (approx. half a mile away); Siege of Petersburg—Lee Strikes Back (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Battle of Blanford, also called the Battle of Petersburg. “Around 2:00 pm Phillips halted his column, then about one mile (1.6 km) from the American lines, and organized his forces for battle. On his right, Colonel Robert Abercrombie was to lead a battalion of light infantry and the company of 50 jägers along the river to drive the American left back to the Pocahontas Bridge. Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Dundas was to lead the 78th and 80th Foot to attempt a flanking maneuver against the American right, and Phillips held the second light infantry battalion and the Loyalist units of (Submitted on April 23, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 949 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 20, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.