Chamblee in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
1917 ✯ Camp Gordon ✯ 1919
Built under the supervision of Major J.N. Pease, QM Corps, and engineered by Lockwood-Greene & Co., Camp Gordon was the largest construction project in Atlanta history to that time. Ready for troop occupancy in just five months, the camp's 2,400 acres included 1,635 buildings with barracks for 46,612 men and corral space for 7,688 horses and mules. The November 11, 1918 armistice ended "The Great War" and the need for Camp Gordon. It was salvaged and abandoned by 1921.
The Emory Unit served in France and was reactivated for World War II. Atlanta's own 82D Division fought with distinction in the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne offensives, suffered 8,077 casualties and produced the most decorated hero of the war, Sgt. Alvin York. It was reactivated for World War II as the
Erected 1988 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 044-91.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • Science & Medicine • War, World I • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 52.617′ N, 84° 18.247′ W. Marker is in Chamblee, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Airport Drive 0.6 miles east of Clairmont Road (Georgia Route 155), on the right. The marker is located at the end of Airport Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2000 Airport Drive, Atlanta GA 30341, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1941 ✯ Naval Air Station Atlanta ✯ 1959 (here, next to this marker); The Rainey Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Samuel House Plantation (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site: Blake’s Mill (approx. 1˝ miles away); Oglethorpe University (approx. 1˝ miles away); Old Cross Keys (approx. 1.6 miles away); Dodge's & Blair's Columns Separate (approx. 2 miles away); Dodge's 16th A.C. Camp on Nancy's Creek (approx. 2.4 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker was originally installed on Airport Drive near the Clairmont Road intersection. It was moved to the end of the Drive in 2007-2008, to a newly landscaped small park.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 3,827 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 21, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4, 5. submitted on November 13, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.