Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Union Springs in Cayuga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mill Pond Nature Trail

 
 
Mill Pond Nature Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, February 23, 2020
1. Mill Pond Nature Trail Marker
Inscription.  
The Mill Pond was lined throughout the 1800's by a variety of grist mills, bending works, saw mills, woolen mills, and warehouses that spurred local industry. Today the Mill Pond is a haven for many migratory and local birds. Because it is spring fed, it does not freeze in winter, making it one of the few cold weather, water stop-overs for our local waterfowl. This pond is an invaluable resource for migratory birds and a true natural treasure for our community.
 
Erected 2016 by Nicholas Aguilar.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 42° 50.69′ N, 76° 41.482′ W. Marker is in Union Springs, New York, in Cayuga County. Marker is at the intersection of Cayuga Street (New York State Route 90) and Spring Street Road, on the right when traveling south on Cayuga Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Union Springs NY 13160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spring Mills (within shouting distance of this marker); 1840 Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct
Old mill beside Mill Pond image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel
2. Old mill beside Mill Pond
Click or scan to see
this page online
line); Ge-Wa-Ga (about 800 feet away); Frontenac Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles Courtney (approx. 0.2 miles away); Howland School (approx. ¼ mile away); In Memory (approx. ¼ mile away); Stone School (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union Springs.
 
Also see . . .  Mill Pond Clean Up. The on-site area contains a large industrial building, which is currently used primarily for warehousing. The on-site area has been used for industrial purposes since at least the 1830s. Several facilities were developed on-site between then and the 1930s, including grist mills, a saw mill, a plaster mill, a cooper shop, and a coal yard. The site was used for manufacturing electrical components for the automotive industry from about 1932 until about 1997. (Submitted on February 26, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 24, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145763

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 23, 2021