Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brookshire in Waller County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Methodist Church of Brookshire

 
 
First Methodist Church of Brookshire Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, February 23, 2020
1. First Methodist Church of Brookshire Marker
Inscription.  This church traces its origin to the establishment of the Union Chapel Methodist Church by the Rev. Churchill Fulshear in the former community of Pittsville (6 mi. S) in 1844. Union Chapel served settlers in this area and moved to a new location about 2 miles south of here in 1880. The church later changed its name to Asbury Chapel. The Asbury sanctuary was sold in 1893, the year Brookshire was founded, and the proceeds used to construct a new church building at this site. At that time the name of the church was changed to Brookshire Methodist Church. The Rev. J. W. Holt served as the congregation's first pastor.

New sanctuaries were built after damage caused by the storms of 1900 and 1915. Due to the country's involvement in World War I, the rebuilding of the sanctuary in 1915 was difficult and required that the church provide its own labor. Four classrooms were added to the church building in 1928. The church became a full station of the Methodist Church in 1946. In 1953 a new sanctuary was built at this site and in 1968 the name of the church was changed to First United Methodist Church of Bookshire.

First Methodist
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
has throughout its history served the community with various programs and activities.
 
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9383.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1844.
 
Location. 29° 47.006′ N, 95° 57.231′ W. Marker is in Brookshire, Texas, in Waller County. Marker is at the intersection of Cooper Street and 7th Street, on the right when traveling south on Cooper Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 707 Cooper Street, Brookshire TX 77423, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Donigan House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Captain Nathen Brookshire (about 800 feet away); Kellner Townsite (approx. 0.9 miles away); Texas Western Narrow Gauge Depot (approx. 3.6 miles away); James Tarrant Pattison Homesite (approx. 3.8 miles away); Pittsville (approx. 4.1 miles away); Stacye Ann Marlin Morgan (approx. 4.2 miles away); Isaac Best (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brookshire.
 
First Methodist Church of Brookshire image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, February 23, 2020
2. First Methodist Church of Brookshire
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 27, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145857

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024