Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fulshear in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Pittsville

 
 
Pittsville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, February 23, 2020
1. Pittsville Marker
Inscription.  Planters preferring the prairie to the hazardous Brazos River bottoms settled this village in the 1840s. Named for store owners A. R. and Amanda (Wade) Pitts, it was a major commercial center by 1860. During the Civil War, the Pittsville Home Guard and Confederate cavalry units, which helped recapture Galveston, camped in the area. Notable residents included Robert Locke Harris and A. A. Laurence, Confederate surgeons; William Sheriff and J. Wesson Parker, Texas legislators and Fort Bend County Judges; and John Huggins, innovator of horseracing techniques. The arrival of a new railroad to the south in 1888, and the subsequent founding of Fulshear, resulted in the gradual decline and eventual disappearance of Pittsville by the late 1940s.
 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16356.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 29° 43.678′ N, 95° 55.694′ W. Marker is near Fulshear, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is on Farm to Market
Pittsville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, February 23, 2020
2. Pittsville Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Road 359, 0.2 miles north of Vanbrooke Boulevard, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fulshear TX 77441, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fulshear Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Albert and Ethel Herzstein (approx. 2.3 miles away); Fulshear Black Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Town of Fulshear (approx. 3.2 miles away); First Methodist Church of Brookshire (approx. 4.1 miles away); Captain Nathen Brookshire (approx. 4.2 miles away); Donigan House (approx. 4.3 miles away); Simonton School (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fulshear.
 
Also see . . .  Pittsville, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on February 27, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 27, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145863

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 30, 2022