Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fulshear in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Town of Fulshear

 
 
Town of Fulshear Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, February 23, 2020
1. Town of Fulshear Marker
Inscription.  

On July 16, 1824, land grant of Mexico to Churchill Fulshear, one of the "Old 300" settlers of Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas. Churchill Fulshear, Jr., veteran of Texas War for Independence, built 4-story brick mansion in 1850s, bred and raced horses at Churchill Downs (at Pittsville, 2 mi. N). His pupil, John Huggins, won world fame by training first American horse to win the English Derby.

Town platted here 1890 by San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad, soon was trade center, with many facilities. The Rev. J. H. Holt was first (1894) pastor of the still existent Methodist church.
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8998.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 29° 41.331′ N, 95° 54.044′ W. Marker is in Fulshear, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1093, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30603 Farm to Market 1093, Fulshear TX 77441, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fulshear Black Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church Fulshear (approx. ¼ mile away); Albert and Ethel Herzstein (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fulshear Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pleasant Hill Cemetery (approx. 2½ miles away); Pittsville (approx. 3.2 miles away); Randon & Pennington Grant of 1824 (approx. 3½ miles away); John Foster Land Grant (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fulshear.
 
Also see . . .  Fulshear, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on February 27, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
Town of Fulshear Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, February 23, 2020
2. Town of Fulshear Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 27, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145864

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024