Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Jefferson Market Courthouse

Landmark of New York

 
 
Jefferson Market Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 20, 2012
1. Jefferson Market Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  This building, designed along Victorian Gothic lines by Vaux & Withers, was constructed in 1876 and served as the women’s court until 1932. Of particular interest are its turrets, traceried windows, ironwork and sculpture.
 
Erected 1958 by New York Community Trust.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 40° 44.085′ N, 73° 59.942′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of Sixth Avenue and West 10th Street on Sixth Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 425 Sixth Avenue, New York NY 10011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 4 Patchin Place / e.e. cummings (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson Market Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Ives (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Second Cemetery (about 300 feet away); Marianne Moore (about 600 feet away); 27 Christopher Street
Jefferson Market Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 20, 2012
2. Jefferson Market Courthouse Marker
(about 700 feet away); Emma Lazarus (about 700 feet away); Jim Hall (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
 
More about this marker. The building is listed in the "AIA (American Institute of Architects) Guide to New York City, Fifth Edition".
 
Also see . . .
1. Jefferson Market Library - New York Architecture. Jefferson Market Branch, New York Public Library/originally Third Judicial District (or Jefferson Market) Courthouse, 1874-77. Vaux and Withers, architects. Exterior restoration, interior remodeling, 1967, Giorgio Cavaglieri. Further restoration, 1994, Joseph Pell Lombardi. A mock Neuschwanstein assemblage, after Ludwig II of Bavaria's castle, Neuschwanstein, famous from travel posters. (Submitted on July 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 

2. The Jefferson Market Courthouse. "Daytonian in Manhattan" entry. (Submitted on February 27, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Honor Award image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 20, 2012
3. Honor Award
The American Institute of Architects has selected this project for 1968 Honor Award.
Jefferson Market Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 20, 2012
4. Jefferson Market Courthouse
Clock Tower of the Jefferson Market Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 20, 2012
5. Clock Tower of the Jefferson Market Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 350 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on February 27, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 7, 2020