Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glen Carbon in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Village Hall & Firehouse

 
 
Village Hall & Firehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, February 27, 2020
1. Village Hall & Firehouse Marker
Inscription.  The Old Village Hall & Firehouse was built in 1910 for $5,625 on land donated by the Madison Coal Corporation. Fire equipment was housed on the first floor and the Village Government utilized the second floor. A jail was located in the basement. The building was used by the fire department until 1955 when a new fire district was established and a new firehouse built. At about the same time, the Village offices were moved to the old school building that now houses the Glen Carbon Heritage Museum.

By the 1950s, the bell tower was in poor condition and had to be removed along with the old bell. The bell has been permanently displayed at Firehouse #1. In the mid-1990s, the mayor authorized the treasurer to start the project to replace the bell tower. After more than a year of planning and construction by volunteers, the new tower was hoisted into place in 1996. A new bronze bell—the same shape and size as the old bell—now chimes the hour for Village residents.

The 1997 Bell Tower Restoration was recognized by the Illinois State Historical Society and the Goshen Preservation Society. In 2018, this property was placed
Village Hall & Firehouse image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, February 27, 2020
2. Village Hall & Firehouse
Marker is in front
Click or scan to see
this page online
on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
 
Erected 2019 by Glen Carbon Historical & Museum Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
 
Location. 38° 44.932′ N, 89° 58.778′ W. Marker is in Glen Carbon, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Summit Avenue and School Street, on the left when traveling north on Summit Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 180 Summit Avenue, Glen Carbon IL 62034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Yanda Log Cabin (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroads (approx. 0.2 miles away); Industry and Notable Buildings (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baseball (approx. 0.2 miles away); People (approx. 0.2 miles away); Industry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Churches (approx. 0.2 miles away); Coal Mining in Glen (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Carbon.
 
Village Hall & Firehouse image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, February 27, 2020
3. Village Hall & Firehouse
supplementary marker
NRHP plaque image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, February 27, 2020
4. NRHP plaque
listed on April 19, 2018; #100002326
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 27, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145878

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2021