Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Paltz in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Reformed Church

 
 
The Reformed Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, March 1, 2020
1. The Reformed Church Marker
Inscription.  January 22,1983 marks 300 years of Christian worship on Huguenot Street, first, in French, the language of the homeland, in a log cabin called the Walloon Church. Close by the graves of the patentees a church of stone was built in 1717. a replica of that church stands on the site. In 1777 Dutch settlers built the second stone church farther north where the language of the Lowlands merged with French in 1839. The present brick church replaced the churches of stone. Transepts were added in 1872. The interior was renovated in 1952 to conform to the classical period. The church today is a splendid example of Greek Revival Architecture.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is January 22, 1983.
 
Location. 41° 45.15′ N, 74° 5.311′ W. Marker is in New Paltz, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on Huguenot Street 0.1 miles north of Mulberry Street, on the left when traveling north. Located on the front of the Reformed Church of New Paltz. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Paltz NY 12561, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hasbrouck House (a few steps from this marker);
The Reformed Church. image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel
2. The Reformed Church.
The Reformed Church is in the background.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Stone Church-1773 (within shouting distance of this marker); Freer House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bevier House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dubois House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Deyo House (about 500 feet away); Die Pfalz (about 500 feet away); Jean Hasbrouck House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Paltz.
 
Also see . . .  The Reformed Church of New Paltz. (Submitted on March 4, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 1, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.   2. submitted on March 2, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide angle photo of the marker and the church • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146003

Paid Advertisement
May. 16, 2021